Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Week Three

Well, week one was survived, and melted into week two in a blur of liquids finished products testing. I have certainly learned much about pharmaceutical microbiology and reincarnated some once-known methods and assays. I find myself to be much like I imagine weather people to be - bored most of the time, until something "goes wrong". For the general populace, it's severe weather or bacterial growth in a medicinal product. For those studying weather or bacteria, it's a flurry and frenzy of excitement and activity as our minds are finally allowed to engage a project!

Now into week three, and the working conditions have not improved. If anything, they've worsened slightly. But as long as I am learning, enjoying my lab mates, and feel that I may have some small skill to offer, I'll stay on a little while longer. Plus, where else would I get to isolate Gram positive, catalase positive bacilli? Let alone quantify them!

Since I'm afraid the tenor of some of these communications has been sardonic and jaded, I MUST state that I really am VERY grateful for this opportunity to learn some new techniques, to be back in the lab, and to meet great new colleagues! I do hope that it becomes even more interesting when I take over preservative testing or when I start antibiotic testing. :)

No comments:

Cryptopatch

Cryptopatch
Two types of immune cells mingle in a small patch of tissue at the side of a mouse gut. We do learn from these experiments...honest!