Thursday, May 6, 2010

First Roses of the Year


I've tried so hard to be original. Some ladies claim daises as their favorite flower, others peonies or daffodils. But for me, it's roses. It's always been roses. :) One of the best parts about our house (and worst in the heat of the summer) is the full sun that most of our yard enjoys. That means tons and tons of roses! I so enjoy scanning the Jackson and Perkins catalogs looking for new and interesting roses. For those of you who didn't know, roses come in four major varieties - climbers, floribundas, grandifloras, and the favorite - hybrid teas. I believe all are derived from antique roses, some of which are still in cultivation and available. I would love to have Teddy Roosevelt's favorite rose one day, but I need to have Chris dig out more flower beds. :) And, yes, this is a bouquet of my first blooms!

Right now, I have a yellow-red hybrid tea, one white and one purple floribunda, and a pink climber. I've also killed a white hybrid tea - oops. Learned an important lesson about the root bud with that one. I think I'll stick with those for this year and plan for next summer. This fall, I'll focus on my new favorite flower - the iris! :)

1 comment:

Caroline said...

I so love roses and irises too! :) We had both in our wedding! I tell Dustin often that when we have our house, I NEED a window in the kitchen that opens out to my roses! :) And some need to crawl up the wall to the window so they're close to me! :) That is something I'd like very much! So happy to see you have a passion for gardening as well! Next time you're in Bham, go to the botanical gardens and visit the roses! They have so many different kinds and colors and smells! :)

Cryptopatch

Cryptopatch
Two types of immune cells mingle in a small patch of tissue at the side of a mouse gut. We do learn from these experiments...honest!